You can create targeted cross-sell or upsell automated workflows that build a bond between your brand and your customers while encouraging them to shop again.
Cross-selling is when you sell an additional product or service to your customers. This product or service is usually related to their initial purchase.
Upselling is offering a larger or upgraded version of the product or service they already purchased. This may include access to gated content or additional features or services.
This automation is triggered by the e-commerce trigger: Purchases a specific product. E-commerce triggers are a feature of the free MailerLite plugins for WooCommerce and Shopify.
If you’re not using WooCommerce or Shopify, don’t worry! You can simply use the workflow trigger: When a subscriber joins a group. That way, when any customers are added to that group, they will trigger the workflow. Then you can design an automated email tailored to offer your customers a related product or upgrade.
Finally, elevate your workflow by using a Delay step combined with a Condition step to separate those who engaged with your cross-sell/upsell email in order to send them separate, more relevant follow-up emails.
Sign up for a free MailerLite account and take the manual labor of your cross-selling campaigns.
1. Select the trigger: Purchases a specific product. If you’re not using the MailerLite plugin for WooCommerce or Shopify, select the trigger: When a subscriber joins a group and ensure buyers are being added to that group.
2. Click the + icon to add an Email step and design an email selling an additional product or upgrade.
3. Add a Delay step and select a timeframe that will allow customers enough time to receive, open and read your automation email.
4. Insert a Condition step with the condition rule: (Previous email) > was opened.
5. Add an Email step to the Yes path to further nurture your engaged customers.
6. Add an Email step to the No path with a follow-up offer in order to encourage the sale.*
*Consider adding another Delay step before the follow-up email aimed at less engaged subscribers.
Now every time a subscriber purchases the specific product outlined in your trigger, they will be offered a related product or upgrade automatically.
Need help crafting your emails? Take a look at these 8 “non-sleazy” upselling techniques to sell everything except your soul.